Monday, September 21, 2009

Wedding Photography

My camera comes with me to every wedding I attend and I often get shots that rival the paid photographer's, but I've never wanted to deal with the stress of being a solo wedding professional. Well, what if I wasn't alone? What if I could shoot a wedding as part of a team where each member plays to his or her strengths? Enter Christine Buffalow, a fellow photographer who, like me, thinks that weddings are better when approached as a duo. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. What are weddings if not two coming together to form a partnership that is greater than the sum of its parts?

So before we jump into this new creative venture we need to know a few things about what people want from a good wedding photography experience. Do people still like getting a nicely printed album of the best images from the wedding day? What about professional prints to go up in the living room, the cubicle, and Mom and Dad's house? I know everybody wants digital images to put up on facebook, but would it be reasonable to charge more for a disk of full-res images? What if you got a link to an online gallery of your wedding photos and then from there you could download only the images that you want or order prints and/or create your own albums?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this subject. I'd love to hear about any good or bad wedding photography experiences. Maybe you know someone that is getting married soon that still needs a photographer. Christine and I would love to get our feet wet as soon as possible, so send them our way!

1 comment:

  1. There are a few other photographers in town working in teams-- some are husband and wife. You might pose as a couple getting married and call around and ask what other photographers are charging for the same thing. I got married too long ago to offer helpful feedback, except to say that I'm sure you would have done a better job than the guy we had! (Photographer friend of my dad's did it as a favor to him for free, in exchange for some camera repair, but he didn't know anything about wedding photography (he did portraits normally). My dad took some candids that were way better than the stuff the other guy took). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete